Community Level 3 – Comfortable
How To Play: In this game, players make a series of sounds that
imitate the coming and going of a rainstorm. Select a leader for the
game who initiates the sound in the following order:
1) Rub palms together repeatedly
2) Snap fingers
3) Pat hands on thighs, alternating right and left
4) Stomp feet or clap hands on floor
5) Clap hands loudly
Reverse order of sounds
6) Stomp feet or clap hands on floor
7) Pat hands on thighs, alternating right and left
8) Snap fingers
9) Rub palms together repeatedly
The sounds travel around the circle with each player waiting to make the
sounds until it reaches his or her neighbor. The leader waits to
change to the next sound until the sound she initiated comes back to her
after traveling around the circle. In this way the sounds build and
change simulating the rainstorm.
Plan for Success: The teacher can be the first leader. Players can practice making the sounds as a group before trying around the circle.
Variations: Players can invent additional sounds to insert in the storm. For example, birds could sing (whistling) at the end of the storm.
This activity can also be used for a quick closing.