The Developmental Designs approach brings everyday strategies for relationship building, social skill-building, safe community, cultural responsiveness, and intrinsic motivation to advisory, content area classes, and across the school, throughout the day.
Creating a Supportive Community
- Discover how adolescents’ developmental needs shape their learning
- Experience 4 important parts of an Advisory program
- Learn ways to build and sustain effective learning community all day everyday
Delivering Motivating Instruction
- Learn the 10 ‘gold’ minutes for learning in each class period
- Experience several games, activities and brain breaks to energize and re-engage students
- Practice and build structures/routines to create effective social interaction
- Learn what research says about the most effective way to orchestrate a lesson
- Practice 5 types of teacher language that encourage as well as correct students – helps students see value in their interactions
- Learn the 5 needs that drive ALL student behavior
- Examine 3 structures to help students master learning routines
- Learn how to personalize discipline with dignity for every student
“Developmental Designs for High School enhances the classroom community and gives students autonomy & competence. Students perform better when they feel like they are part of the group and have a role in their education.”
– High School-level teacher
WHY DEVELOPMENTAL DESIGNS?
Developmental Designs for High School was created specifically with students in grades 9-12 in mind. Research shows that engagement in school begins drop after 5th grade and continues through high school. 50% of students are either disengaged or actively disengaged (Gallup, 2015) by the time they leave high school.