Open the Circle to Mitigate Bias and Shift Perspectives
One Day Professional Development
Implicit biases often stand in opposition to a person’s stated beliefs. We might believe that we are an advocate for our students but, when our actions are driven by unconscious bias and assumptions, they impede student achievement.
Don’t see the date you’re looking for?
This workshop can be scheduled on-site.
Request Information »
One Day Professional Development
- Biases are held by an individual, group, or institution and can have negative or positive consequences; it’s defined as prejudice in favor of or against one thing.
- Diversity is not common sense; Prejudice is! Prejudice may be hard-wired, but we have control over how we act on it.
- Acting on prejudice or bias perpetuates discrimination. Examining our own biases can create more equitable learning environments.
- Learn five (5) hidden biases at play in any given human interaction.
- Discover gaps between our good intentions and our operational behavior.
- Examine the disparities between our conscious and unconscious dispositions.
- Examine seeds of prejudice – Our Mind’s blind spot causes errors, leading to harmful prejudice patterns and habits.
- Learn to move from wishing away our biases to becoming objective in our decision-making.
- Explicitly rejecting our biases does not rid us of our unknown, hidden values. Learn three (3) ways to uncover and mitigate our implicit bias to better serve our students.
- We all do better when WE do better. We do better when we know what our biases are.
Call: 612.822.3422 or Email: email@example.com with questions or to schedule for your school.
Note: The Origins Program reserves the right to cancel workshops and is not liable for any travel-related or other expenses incurred by a registrant or payee due to a canceled workshop.
All Origins workshops are highly interactive, providing many opportunities for you to talk with other educators and ask your most compelling questions to workshop facilitators.
Most workshops begin at 8:30 a.m. and end at 3:00 p.m.
Lunch arrangements for on-site workshops will be subject to the school agreement.
Certificate of attendance
You will receive a 7-hour certificate of attendance for participation in the entire workshop.
After you register, you will receive a confirmation email with more detailed information and the schedule for the workshop.
I found the combination of the theoretical, research, and practical school-based examples to be the ideal for helping internalize the urgency and need for action, and then visualize and plan for specific action steps. ~Open the Circle to Mitigate Bias and Shift Perspectives: Anti-Bias Anti-Racist Educator
Great overview and resources to understand and tackle racism. ~Open the Circle to Mitigate Bias and Shift Perspectives: Anti-Bias Anti-Racist Educator
It defined and explained a lot of phenomena, which gave me a vocabulary and understanding to talk about it with staff in my building. ~Open the Circle to Mitigate Bias and Shift Perspectives: Anti-Bias Anti-Racist Educator
The articles and discussions were so powerful. And to have it presented in a DD lens was perfect! ~Open the Circle to Mitigate Bias and Shift Perspectives: Anti-Bias Anti-Racist Educator