Developmental Designs for Middle School 1
28 hour Professional Development
Collaborate with a learning community.
- Build a supportive classroom community
- Leverage adolescents’ developmental strengths
- Teach students how to manage their own behavior
The Developmental Designs approach encompasses both the academic and social needs of adolescents. It provides structures for teaching to the whole child so that academic growth is enhanced, rather than limited by the social and emotional realities of adolescence. Developmental Designs practices and principles create equitable, trauma informed classrooms with the goal of adolescent responsible independence.
These practices were created to engage students in three important ways:
CREATING A SUPPORTIVE COMMUNITY
- Discover how adolescents’ developmental needs shape their learning
- Experience the 4 important parts of an effective advisory program
- Learn ways to build and sustain effective learning community all day everyday
DELIVERING MOTIVATING INSTRUCTION
- Practice several games, activities and brain breaks to energize and re-engage students
- Practice structures and routines to create effective and accountable social interaction
- Experience several reflection strategies to build self-direction in learning
TEACHING SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING
- Practice five types of teacher language that encourage, empower and build pro-social skills
- Learn the 5 needs that drive ALL student behavior
- Examine structures to help students master learning and classroom routines
- Learn how to personalize discipline with equitable responses
- Study trauma informed practices to be both warm AND demanding
Call: 612.822.3422 or Email: email@example.com with questions or to schedule for your school.
Note: The Origins Program reserves the right to cancel workshops and is not liable for any travel-related or other expenses incurred by a registrant or payee due to a canceled workshop.
The Developmental Designs approach to delivering workshops is as unique as the approach itself. During the workshop you will:
- Experience the workshop as both teacher and student. Presenters both give detailed descriptions and model every Developmental best practice.
- Develop a friendly and trusting community with your fellow participants.
- Consider solutions to your most challenging behavior problems through discussion, role play and readings.
- Share your personal stories and expertise as both teacher and learner
Most workshops begin at 8:30 a.m. and end at 3:30 p.m.
Lunch arrangements for on-site workshops will be subject to the school agreement.
Certificate of attendance
You will receive a 28-hour certificate of attendance for participation in the entire workshop.
After you register, you will receive a confirmation email with more detailed information and the schedule for the workshop.
Developmental Designs helps maintain a focus on equity by constantly asking how we can set all students up for success. ~Developmental Designs for Middle School trained educator
Developmental Designs helps build relationships, helps establish positive and reliable classroom routines, and finally models how to help middle school students build self-control. This helps build confidence in staff as well as students! ~Developmental Designs for Middle School trained educator
We should always be working on improving our practice and COVID has forced this upon us because it has made us uproot the complacency we once practiced and became comfortable with. Education is ever evolving and so must we. ~Developmental Designs for Middle School trained educator
Developmental Designs has proven success! ~Developmental Designs for Middle School trained educator
I was going into the training in a negative mindset. I gained a lot of tools and things to do (and avoid). ~Developmental Designs for Middle School trained educator