Developmental Designs for Elementary School
28 hour Professional Development Strategies for reducing bias and strengthening equity in your classroom and school
- Match learning to a child’s personal, developmental, and cultural needs
- Increase your time for relationships with each student to better tailor learning
- Learn new approaches for connections and cultural understanding with families
To create an equitable foundation for learning, certain conditions and experiences are necessary to meet the basic needs of children for autonomy, competence, relationship, community, play, and safety. When we base our practice on meeting these needs, we base our practice in equity. To meet these needs, we provide educators practices to strengthen and maintain classrooms and schools where equity is a lived reality, creating a Zone of Proximal Development for ALL Learners. Developmental Designs for Elementary School is a powerful collection of research-based teaching strategies and practices that focus on three specific areas: CREATING A SUPPORTIVE COMMUNITY
- Build cultural understanding, reduce bias and encourage a robust, inclusive classroom community
- Create student-teacher relationships via foster attunement and shared learning, creating reciprocal, culturally aware relationships
- Increase the role of family engagement in student learning
- Maximize the collective intelligence and collaborative potential of the adult community
DELIVERING MOTIVATING INSTRUCTION
- Focus on personalized learning provides students diverse ways to utilize their interests and strengths, inviting self-expression and critical inquiry
- Learn how to encourage productive academic conversations between students
- Develop skills of listening to and observing students
- Discover hot to engage students in whole class learning with active and inclusive opportunities for creative learning together, maximizing academic and social growth
- Make room for weekly, goal-oriented teacher-student check-ins
TEACHING SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING
- Practice six types of teacher language that encourage, empower and build pro-social skills
- Learn and practice effective and equitable discipline strategies
- Cultivate self-regulation and responsible independence in children
- Learn communication and scaffolding strategies to increase understanding
Call: 612.822.3422 or Email: email@example.com with questions or to schedule for your school. Note: The Origins Program reserves the right to cancel workshops and is not liable for any travel-related or other expenses incurred by a registrant or payee due to a canceled workshop.
The Developmental Designs approach to delivering workshops is as unique as the approach itself. During the workshop you will:
- Experience the workshop as both teacher and student. Presenters both give detailed descriptions and model every Developmental best practice.
- Develop a friendly and trusting community with your fellow participants.
- Consider solutions to your most challenging behavior problems through discussion, role play and readings.
- Share your personal stories and expertise as both teacher and learner
Most workshops begin at 8:30 a.m. and end at 3:30 p.m.
Lunch arrangements for on-site workshops will be subject to the school agreement.
Certificate of attendance
You will receive a 28-hour certificate of attendance for participation in the entire workshop.
After you register, you will receive a confirmation email with more detailed information and the schedule for the workshop.
I expect the impact to be great in that I have been able to practice empowering language, games, etc. I hope that with the entire school using these practices that the carry over from year to year will be visible. ~Developmental Designs for Elementary School trained educator
Students start to feel more respected within and connected to their learning cultures and deliberately choose to take academic and social risks. Behavior issues, likewise, diminish because students are stewards of their own learning and move beyond the boredom that they may face when there is no challenge. ~Developmental Designs for Elementary School trained educator
A great impact, especially with the remote learning model! ~Developmental Designs for Elementary School trained educator
I am feeling so much more empowered and capable of bringing my core values as an educator into the age of covid in whatever mode I may find myself teaching this year. ~Developmental Designs for Elementary School trained educator
Thank you for a wonderful training series. I enjoyed it very much. Helped me and we measure our collective and individual impact. We set 2-3 measurable goals that can be accomplished in the next 1-6 months. ~Developmental Designs for Elementary School trained educator