Developmental Designs for Middle School 2
28 hour Professional Development Collaborate with a learning community.
- Pace and time classes to boost students’ focus and retention
- Bridge student experiences and past lessons to new content
- Integrate choice and diverse learning modalities into your lessons
Prerequisite: Developmental Designs for Middle School 1
Don’t see the date you’re looking for?
This workshop can be scheduled on-site.
Request Information »
The Developmental Designs approach encompasses both the academic and social needs of adolescents. It provides structures for teaching to the whole child so that academic growth is enhanced, rather than limited by the social and emotional realities of adolescence. Developmental Designs practices and principles create equitable, trauma informed classrooms with the goal of adolescent responsible independence. These practices were created to engage students in middle school classrooms in three important ways: CREATING A SUPPORTIVE COMMUNITY
- Reflect on current advisory practices and problem solve issues
- Practice several ways to use the power of play in academics
- Learn effective structures that promote high performing teams
DELIVERING MOTIVATING INSTRUCTION
- Learn the 10 ‘gold’ and ‘silver’ minutes for learning in each class period
- Learn how voice, choice and audience increase self-direction and engagement
- Practice and build structures/routines to create effective social interaction
- Discover the three most effective strategies for feedback
TEACHING SELF-DIRECTION AND SELF-CONTROL
- Reflect on the Pathways to Self-Control implementation
- Practice the one-to-one student problem solving conference
- Experience and practice the Conspiracy of Caring student study protocol
28 hour Professional Development Prerequisite: Developmental Designs for Middle School I Call: 612.822.3422 or Email: email@example.com with questions or to schedule for your school. Note: The Origins Program reserves the right to cancel workshops and is not liable for any travel-related or other expenses incurred by a registrant or payee due to a canceled workshop.
The Developmental Designs approach to delivering workshops is as unique as the approach itself. During the workshop you will:
- Experience the workshop as both teacher and student. Presenters both give detailed descriptions and model every Developmental best practice.
- Develop a friendly and trusting community with your fellow participants.
- Consider solutions to your most challenging behavior problems through discussion, role play and readings.
- Share your personal stories and expertise as both teacher and learner.
Most workshops begin at 8:30 a.m. and end at 3:30 p.m.
Lunch arrangements for on-site workshops will be subject to the school agreement.
Certificate of attendance
You will receive a 28-hour certificate of attendance for participation in the entire workshop.
After you register, you will receive a confirmation email with more detailed information and the schedule for the workshop.
I think that it is very important for teachers to continue learning and growing as educators. After being in the classroom for several years it is nice and necessary to get a refresher and reminder of why you are an educator. The practices and strategies of DD will allow us to better meet the various needs of our students. I honestly feel that DD1 made me a better teacher and I can’t wait to implement my learning from DD2. ~ Developmental Designs trained educator
These practices encourage student engagement and proactive measures to support student behavior. They provide a structure for advisory lessons. They support focusing on student assets when problem-solving and increasing student voice and choice. ~ Developmental Designs trained educator
I believe DD practices can create a more equitable, joyful, and meaningful school experience for students and teachers. ~ Developmental Designs trained educator